LocationHo Chi Minh City
CategoryLegal / Compliance
Our client is an international financial services company.
This role is focused on providing proactive, timely and strategic legal solutions, including: supporting the CEO in
general management, managing the legal affairs, developing long term strategy for the legal function in support of the business objectives, providing advice and strategic counselling, increasing awareness and commitment towards mitigating legal and reputation risks, managing relationships with regulators of the company; supporting proper and effective operations from corporate governance perspectives; and providing assistance to other functions.
- Provide supports to the CEO in general management, ensure sound and smooth operations. Contribute to new business initiatives in developing the company in the local market.
- Provide high quality, cost effective, proactive and practical legal services and strategic advice to the CEO and other stakeholders in minimizing legal risks while achieving business objectives. Ensure timely and effective identification of legal issues and reputational risks by appropriate allocation of resources and establishment of proper escalation channels.
- Deploy the legal resources effectively to ensure appropriate interaction by qualified lawyers with businesses and other functions. Review and improve the delivery of legal services by developing streamlined procedures and processes needed to support business partners.
- Facilitate appropriate legal and/or regulatory risk assessments as necessary, including specific projects. Assist businesses and other functions within the organization to deals with complaints and disputes by clients and business partners.
- Monitor changes in laws and regulations that impact business objectives and participate in an effective process for updating the CEO, BOD members and senior management on significant changes. Work closely with the Head of Compliance on regulatory matters.
- Advise and take appropriate actions to ensure business operates within and following Enterprise Policies and Operating Guidelines, best practices of the industry and local regulatory requirements. Facilitate meetings of Members’ Council, Local Policy Approval Committee. Propose changes/actions to improve effectiveness of corporate governance. Manage the Company Secretary function.
- Manage relationships with various regulators, allocate appropriate resources for the activities of government relations. Specifically, maintain and build close contact and relationship with the local industry body and the main regulator. Assist businesses and other functions in review, audit conducted by regulators. Proactively build up proper plans/actions to continuously improve relationship with regulators. Works closely with the Head of Compliance on government relations matters.
- Manage and direct the initiation, prosecution, defense and/or disposition of all legal and regulatory proceedings in conjunction with impacted business partners. Manage the effective use of costs and external counsels. Manages and cooperates with Corporate Office on the registration, maintenance and protection of trademarks, copyrights and similar intellectual property rights.
- Manage effective and efficient allocation of resources by developing annual budgets and functional plans in liaison with the CEO and the General Counsel, Asia. Ensure suitable legal personnel are retained and developed to provide legal services and corporate governance support required; provide effective monitoring and training of such legal personnel. Manage the performance appraisals and compensation of legal function personnel.
- Familiar with relevant laws, rules and regulations; Understanding of Vietnam business environment and industry practices; Technical legal knowledge of insurance principles and procedures, including familiar with distribution
- Engage and influence others, cross and across functionally, deliver innovative solutions, manages complexity, attracts, develop and retain Talent, while effectively managing more junior members of the legal team
- Ability to provide practical and commercial “solutions-oriented” legal advice to the businesses and
- functions, identify legal issues and apply legal principles in a business environment, to present, persuade and protect views, to manage a team and provide value-add legal commercial advice, to manage regulators and regulatory affairs of the business, to lead and develop legal talent
- Master or Bachelor of Laws (Vietnam or overseas equivalent)
- More than 10 years practice in international environment (in-house or private practice)
- Member of a Bar Association
- Fluency in English spoken and written
- Experience in working with authorities in Vietnam
- Van Nguyen